The Alexandra in Birmingham is to host its first ever film festival in the New Year – and every ticket is completely FREE.
A week-long series of film screenings have been lined up at the newly revamped Alex in January, as the venue aims to help people beat the winter blues.
Everyone is invited to come out of the cold and join in The Alex Film Festival, which will see movie hits for parent and babies, films where you can quote-along, sing-a-long and don costumes and movies where a relaxed environment can be enjoyed.
There are even dog friendly movies on the bill where you can bring your canine companions, and a sleepover where you can enjoy a total of four back to back films intro the early hours.
The festival will run from Monday 14 to Sunday 20 January and include a carefully curated selection of hit films including 80s cult classic Labyrinth, iconic 90s hits Wayne’s World. classic The Wizard of Oz, plus chick-flicks like Mean Girls and Clueless.
The Alex will even open its bars to serve a selection of delicious drinks and snacks. All you need to do is book your place.
Lisa Mart, Theatre Director, The Alexandra, said: “The idea of the film festival came to us when we were discussing how we could do something in January to thank all of Birmingham for supporting us through our relaunch and refurbishment.”
“Outdoor film screenings in the summer are always so popular, so why not offer a cosy winter version? We are delighted that we have been able to offer them completely free of charge to our audiences – and their dogs in some cases!
“We really hope everyone takes us up on this week of fun in the venue, where we think there is literally something for everyone.”
Customers can take their pick from a host of different screening types and film genres as below:
Parent & Baby – There’s no need to miss out because you have little ones – bring them along with you.
- Monday 14 January, 10am Labyrinth
- Friday 18 January, 10am First Wives Club
- Saturday 19 January, 10am The Devil Wears Prada
- Sunday 20 January, Overboard
Quote/Sing Along & Costume – Know all the best one liners from the film? Our host will encourage you to quote along and sing along, plus there’s a prize for the best costume.
- Monday 14 January, 7pm Clueless
- Wednesday 16 Jan, 7pm Wayne’s World 1 and 2
- Thursday 17 January, 7pm Mean Girls
- Friday 18 January, 8pm The Rocky Horror Picture Show Sing Along & Best Costume followed by post show party (limited spaces)
- Sunday 20 January, 2pm Spiceworld The Movie
Relaxed Environment – Come and enjoy a movie classic with us in a relaxed environment, tailored to be suitable for customers with dementia or an autism spectrum disorder.
- Thursday 17 January, 2pm The Wizard of Oz
Dog Friendly – We know they’re a part of the family, so bring your pooch along for a cinema experience with a difference.
- Saturday 19 January, 2pm The Secret Life of Pets
- Sunday 20 January, 7pm Reservoir Dogs
Sleepover – Enjoy 4 back-to-back films with us into the early hours.
- Saturday 19 January, 7pm John Hughes Collection Sleepover, 16 Candles, Pretty in Pink, The Breakfast Club, Ferris Buellers Day Off
To find out more or book your place please visit ATGTICKETS.COM/Birmingham