Chinese New Year is just round the corner and, as always, Birmingham city centre will come alive with celebrations across the shopping centres from Thursday 12th-Sunday 18th February.
You can expect lion dances, classical music, red envelopes and much more in stores.
Here’s the low-down on what’s going on and where so you can welcome in the Year of the Dog in style.
Bullring and Grand Central
Head to the Bullring’s famous bull statue at midday, where the festivities will kick off with a lion dance, then head to the shopping centre’s ground floor, outside Debenhams, for a spectacular performance of Rosie Kay’s “Modern Warrior”. Kay brings professional dancers and members of the local Chinese community together for a breath-taking, fast-paced urban dance experience, kicking off at 1pm.
Stick around after Modern Warrior for a stunning live classical performance from Birmingham Conservatorie from 2pm and round off the day in style by joining the lion as it dances a lap of Grand Central at 3pm.
There will also be exclusive offers going on in stores over the weekend.
– Coach – Free bag charm worth £30 and free personalisation when spending over £300 in store on full price products.
– Boux Avenue – Free pamper treats when spend £50 or more in store (while stocks last).
– Karen Millen – Join Karen Millen for their new season event plus free gift when spend £200 or more in store on the day.
– Kiehl’s (Grand Central) – Free butterstick lip treatment worth £19 when you spend £60 or more in store.
– Neal’s Yard Remedies (Grand Central) – Mini radiance facial, hand and arm massage and sample of your choice when purchasing in store*. *Subject to availability – while stocks last.
– PHO (Grand Central) – Celebrate the Vietnamese New Year and receive a lucky envelope when you dine during New Year celebrations.
– Not Dogs – Half price “What the Duck” dog and “Not Pot” between 15th – 18th February. Customers can also try the Prize Wheel for a chance to win a range of prizes including win Not Dogs for Life.
– Radley – Discover their limited edition Year of the Dog collection in store featuring the signature Scottie Dog alongside a range of designs celebrating the occasion.
– Smashbox – Free Chinese New Year themed make up bag when purchase two or more products.
The famous department store will be commencing the Chinese New Year by lighting up red from 15th-18th February at 5pm.
In store, there will be plenty of activities going on from Menswear to the Food Hall. See the list below to see what you can get involved in.
– Veuve Cliquot personalisation cart, 9th-14th Feb – Personalise your own Veuve Cliquot champagne this Chinese New Year with one of their exclusive arrow tins. Making the perfect gift for someone this new year.
– Tonkotsu – For Chinese New Year, Tonkotsu will be serving up a special Chinese New Year dish: Ham Hock Ramen.
Beauty Hall on Level 3
– Blink Brow Bar, 12th-18th Feb – Receive a complimentary mini Brow Pencil and 5 minute HNS massage when you spend £30.
– Bobbi Brown, 9th Feb and 15th-18th Feb – Receive complimentary product charms for shoppers who purchase from the Luxe Lip or Intensive Serum range. Make-up artist, Jeffrey will be hosting a Chinese masterclass on Friday 9th Feb, creating a party look for CNY.
– Charlotte Tilbury, 15th-18th Feb – Charlotte Tilbury will be focusing on creating a Vintage Vamp look with complimentary 15 minute sessions of the eyes and lip.
– Dermalogica, 12th-18th Feb – Dermalogica will be offering his and hers face mapping on counter and when any full-sized purchase is made, will receive a complimentary Sensitive Skin Rescue Skin Solver treatment on counter. If you purchase two or more full-sized products, you will receive a Skin Solver and travel size Ultra Calming cleanser.
– Giorgio Armani, 15th-18th Feb – Giorgio Armani have launched a ‘Year of the Dog’ palette, so to celebrate, they will be hosting complimentary masterclasses on counter & mini face yoga tutorials. With each purchase of 2 full-sized items, you will receive a goody bag.
– IT Cosmetics, 15th-18th Feb – There will be a focus on complexion to support the launch of their Confidence range. There will be a complimentary application of the brand’s top 5 products.
– La Mer, 13th-18th Feb – There will be luxury samples given for purchases over £500 and £1000, with special boxes for gifting with all purchases.
– Lancôme, 15-18th Feb – Lancôme will be offering complimentary 5 minute massage or 15 minute complexion makeover. There will be a commemorative dog-shaped makeup bag for 2 or more full-sized purchases.
– MAC Cosmetics, 14-18th Feb – Special gifting boxes with purchase.
– NARS Cosmetics, 12-14th Feb – NARS will be doing complimentary lip makeovers to demonstrate their new Velvet Matte Lip Pencil range. There will be deluxe samples for purchases of £70 or more and a full complimentary makeover for purchases over £150.
– SUQQU, 15th-18th Feb – “God of Wealth” will give away 500 red envelopes to customers. Each envelope will contain complimentary services including: Gakin facial; eye lift massage; foundation colour match plus foundation sample; point makeover.
– Urban Decay, 15-18th Feb – Urban Decay will be offering complimentary eye and complexion makeovers and giving away goody bags with purchases over £50.
Menswear on Level 2
– Offspring, 18th Feb, 12-6pm – Get your shoe box customised with purchases of £100.
Designer on Level 4
– Maje, 10 Feb- 18th Feb – Receive a complimentary gift with purchase.
– MO & Co, 10 Feb- 18th Feb – Receive a complimentary gift with purchase and special gift wrapping.
– Jimmy Choo. 9-25th Feb – Chinese shoppers will be gifted a traditional branded pack of Chinese New Year celebration envelopes. Each pack will contain a gift voucher which offers the client 10% off their next purchase within the month of February.
House of Fraser
House of Fraser will be celebrating Chinese New Year with instore activity including fortune cookie giveaways, lucky red envelopes containing prizes from beauty products, services to gift cards as well as giving away ‘Year of the Dog’ cotton tote bags when you spend £100 or more in store.
The lucky red envelopes will be available for customers to collect (one per person) at the buy and collect department – no purchased necessary.
Looking for the perfect Chinese New Year gift? Harvey Nichols are on hand with their range of CNY gifts from red designer gifts for him to luxury gold jewellery for her. They have got everything you need to welcome the Lunar New Year in style. Take a look here