Eid Beauty with Ruhena Begum
In the run up to the Eid festivities next week, we caught up with make-up artist Ruhena Begum to talk all things beauty ……
Talk us through the looks we’ll be seeing this year during Eid festivities?
Eid is about celebration of life. Many women choose to celebrate Eid with an abundance of colour and beauty inspired by Bollywood movies and what leading actresses wear. Bold Kohl Eyes, colourful glittery eyeshadows and lots of contour to bring out those movie star cheekbones.
What should we look out for in AW14?
Classic colours are back, including deep emerald, teal, orchid blue and crimson, paired with bright tones of tangerine, cherry, fuchsia, bright yellow and cobalt blue- it’s the perfect complement for the lovely Asian couture. Very rarely do such colours emerge as the trends for both Asian and Western fashions at the same time. For those that want a simpler understated look, lilac, nudes and lavender are great undertones with subtle make up styling. The looks this season typically involve a simpler hair style with more focus on makeup styling and outfit couture, so whatever you do make sure the face and the clothes fuse beautifully.
If you had to choose 5 must-have beauty products, what would they be and why?
1. YSL – Touche Eclat Foundation (Shade BD50 – Medium skin) This foundation targets shadowy areas and highlights the contours of the face providing an illuminating & glowing foundation. It conceals imperfections providing perfect coverage whilst also enhancing the skin’s natural beauty with a long lasting look of radiance and flawless perfection.
2. YSL – Touche Eclat Radiant Touch (Shade 3 – ‘Original’) Touche Eclat conceals dark circles and highlights your best features, adding instant radiance to your face. This must-have pen is one of global make up artists’ best kept secrets and has been used for over 20 years. The Touche Eclat Range is one of the best selling makeup ranges in the world and is the one beauty essential that no woman should ever be without.
3. Bare Minerals -‘Warmth’ – All over Face Colour Finishing Powder This powder adds rich velvety colour to your complexion with a radiant healthy looking hue. Wear it under, over or mix it with your BM foundation. It enriches your skin tone for an all-over healthy looking glow and can be worn as a highlighter, blush, cheek contour, eyeshadow or even lip colour. It buffs on smooth for a soft, silky finish. The product uses a blend of natural minerals and works beautifully for all skin tones and types.
4. Bobbi Brown Bronze Shimmer Brick Compact The original Shimmer Brick Compact. This shimmering, brush-on powder creates a deep, bronzy glow. Works well with neutral and deep blush shades.
5. Bobbi Brown Lip Color – Shimmer Finish Light-reflective lip colour with a soft, buttery feel (plus treatment benefits too)—one swipe and you’ll be hooked.
Are there any quick tips or tricks you can share with us?
There’s nothing more seductive or feminine than a bold red pout. A hot, red lip is an essential part of every girl’s bag of tricks. Start with a very sharp lip liner in the same colour as your chosen lipstick. As you apply, smile a little so the lips are tight and the liner goes on easier. Fill in the lips using the side of the liner, then take a lip brush and apply the lipstick for precision. If you make a mistake, take a little concealer on a small brush and ‘erase’ it.
Liquid liner is one of the trickiest products to master, but once you learn the right way to do it, you can create chic eye makeup looks in a flash. An easy way to test out liquid liner is to first use a taupe eyeliner pencil to lightly trace a line just above your upper lashline, This trick lets you make sure the lines are even and accurate before next applying the liquid liner directly on top of the ‘practice’ line.
A bold brow is an easy way to create an attention-grabbing makeup look. “Comb your brows with a spoolie brush or clean mascara wand to see how they lay naturally, using a soft, slightly waxy brow pencil shape the brow by using the thinner side of the tip. Then, take the flatter angle of the pencil and fill in the brow using short strokes that look similar to hair. Finish by blending a shimmery highlighter just below the brow bone to add brightness and lift.”
For multi-dimensional skin that’s neither too matte nor too dewy, I like the glow to look more natural. Full coverage foundation can tend to look a little dull or matte as the day progresses. Using a highlighter underneath gives that glow. Whip out your favourite highlighter, which, if you’re anything like me, is probably Yves Saint Laurent Touche Éclat and illuminate away, then go in with the foundation for total coverage that’s still radiant.
How will you be celebrating Eid this year?
Firstly I will be celebrating with my family and friends having a large meal and then the excitement really ramps up as we all glam up in our new Eid clothing, I’m wearing a saree this year to visit loved ones offering food as gifts and laughing and enjoying each other’s company.
To find out more about Ruhena click HERE